One of my favorite recipes: Cacao Almond Meal Cupcakes Cream Cheese Frosting. Homemade, tasty, and so easy to make!
After all my recent cacao excitement and the fact that I loved my TerrAmazon Cacao Powder in my 3 Ingredient Chocolate Recipe, I decided to make another weekend treat. I wanted something different this time using cacao and its amazing health benefits. My Cacao Almond Meal Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting came out soooooo delicious!
Ok, I am pregnant and in my third trimester. Yes, I am craving sweets and chocolate. I seriously even dream of eating chocolate! I really wanted something sweet and yummy without any refined sugars. I have been substituting sugar for honey and so far, the results have been awesome. Healthier and tastier desserts! If you want to know more about the benefits of cacao, please see my recent post: Are You Eating Real Chocolate?
For this recipe I also used coconut oil, real butter, pastured raised eggs and almond meal. Baking with almond meal has been also great. I really like the texture and the taste of almonds. I like to bake with silicone mini cupcake cups (these are the ones I used for this recipe). They pop right out without having to oil the molds and you can also put them in the dishwasher for easy cleaning. They look super cute for decoration as well.
After all the healthy ingredients mentioned above, I am feeling good about eating my cupcakes. No regrets. If you don’t want the dairy, you can just make the cupcakes without the frosting. Adding the cream cheese frosting is totally optional because these Cacao Almond Meal Cupcakes are delicious with or without it. My frosting recipe only contains cream cheese, butter and honey. My husband thinks it is the best frosting ever!
My son was also super excited about the cupcakes and even helped me decorate them (as you can see in the pictures, we are not professionals). I actually recently started baking, and I am loving it so far. You don’t need to be a chef or know a lot about cooking to prepare delicious meals and treats. Most of my recipes are really easy to make and without any previous experience, I am sure you will get great results just like me. Simple recipes made with fresh ingredients is the key to success.
These Cacao Almond Meal Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting would be also fantastic for parties or school events where you can feel proud about offering a treat that is healthy and enjoyable. Have you tried those neon frostings from supermarket cupcakes and cakes? In my opinion, they are not tasty and are loaded with artificial colors and refined sugars that are so so bad for children.
This is a gluten free cupcake and the recipe uses no refined sugars. I found cacao chocolate chips at Amazon made with evaporated cane juice, unsweetened chocolate and ground vanilla beans. Isn’t it wonderful? Make sure as always to buy the best quality ingredients and enjoy a wonderful treat without feeling guilty. Another great recipe that contains no refined sugars is my Super Healthy Banana Muffins.
I can’t believe how good these cupcakes are. They are best right out of the oven but you can store them for a few days in the refrigerator if you made the frosting, otherwise leave them in a closed container on your kitchen counter. If you like your frosting a little hard, make it ahead of time and leave it in the fridge for an hour or so before decorating and serving.
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- ¾ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup cacao chocolate chips
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- For the Frosting: about 4 tablespoons of cream cheese, honey and butter.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together cacao powder,almond meal, baking powder, and the pinch of salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, almond milk, coconut oil, honey, and vanilla extract. Then mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. Make sure you mix really well. I used a hand blender.
- When everything is well combined, finally add the cacao chocolate chips.
- Start filling the mini cupcake molds or cupcake pan if using. I placed my silicone molds on top of a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees 15-20 minutes
- For the Frosting: In a bowl, using an electric hand blender or regular blender, blend cream cheese, butter and honey. The frosting uses equal parts of cream cheese, butter and honey. You can make more depending on your taste and how much frosting you want.
- With this recipe I made 9 mini cupcakes, and they were perfectly baked in 18 minutes.
- If you are making regular size cupcakes just double the recipe.
- ** You can add a little more chocolate chips if you like your cupcakes really sweet.