Super delicious, healthy version of regular mac and cheese. I just love to substitute rice or pasta for quinoa. It makes it healthier and full of health benefits, plus it tastes so delicious. My family loves it.
This Quinoa Mac And Cheese With Broccoli is very easy to make and a creative and healthy dinner idea. It is a great meal for kids and adults!
What is Quinoa?
Quinoa, sometimes called a whole grain, is actually a seed, this leafy plant is a relative to beets, spinach and Swiss chard. Due to its delicate taste and rich amounts of protein, potassium, and other vitamins and minerals, it is quite popular. It is also a good source of fiber and is easily digested.
I like the C&F: Premium Organic Quinoa or the Nature’s Earthly Choice Organic Quinoa brands. I usually buy them at Costco but you can also get them online. Just make sure to look at the package and see if your quinoa has been previously washed. If not, I recommend rinsing before cooking.
I like cooking my quinoa in chicken or vegetable broth. You can also simply cook your quinoa in water, but I think the broth gives it a lot more flavor.
For more quinoa recipes, please see my Chicken Quinoa Chaufa and Molded Quinoa With Ground Beef Filing recipes. They are super easy to make and remember to always buy good quality and fresh ingredients.
Quinoa Mac And Cheese With Broccoli
- 1 cup organic Quinoa
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter (I use real butter)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa in chicken broth or water. The broth I buy is the Pacific Foods Chicken Broth because it is made with real and organic ingredients and free range chickens. I usually cook it in chicken or vegetable broth: 2 cups broth and 1 cup quinoa.
- Let the broth boil first then add the quinoa.
- Lower to medium heat for about 13-16 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- In a separated pan, while the quinoa is cooking, steam or boil broccoli for about 5 minutes.
- Drain and chop the broccoli.
- Once the quinoa is cooked and liquid is absorbed, take away from heat and cover.
- Let it stand for a few minutes.
- The quinoa should still be hot after covering for a few minutes. Mix in the cheese, milk, butter, salt and pepper, broccoli, and let it melt.
- Serve and decorate with some broccoli florets on top if you want.