Turkey Pumpkin Chili is a great recipe using delicious and super nutritious pumpkin! It’s pumpkin season and there are so many ways you can incorporate pumpkin to your favorite dishes. This Turkey Pumpkin Chili is the perfect example!
Did you know that pumpkins are a great source of vitamin A? According to the National Institute of Health, a cup of cooked pumpkin contains more than 200 percent of your recommended daily intake of vitamin A, which promotes good vision. Vitamin A also helps form and maintain healthy skin, teeth and bones.
A cup of cooked pumpkin also contains 7 grams of fiber. A diet rich in fiber helps lower the risk of heart disease by naturally decreasing cholesterol levels. Fiber also helps with digestion and makes you feel full faster so you eat less. Pumpkin is also a great source of iron to help make hemoglobin and transport oxygen throughout your body.
This recipe was very easy to make. It just takes a little prep time to chop all the different veggies. Fresh ingredients for a full flavored meal the entire family will enjoy. If you don’t like turkey you can substitute it for any other type of ground meat or simply make it a vegetarian chili.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato cut in small pieces
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pepper chopped (you can use red, green or orange)
- 2 cups pumpkin cut in small squares
- 1 cup cooked beans (I used red kidney beans but you can use your favorite kind)
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 cups vegetable broth (you can use chicken or turkey broth too)
- Cooking oil (I used red palm oil)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large cooking pan place a little cooking oil. when hot, sauté the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey and let it brown for a few more minutes. Then add the peppers, tomato, pumpkin, cooked beans, tomato juice and broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- You can add more or less liquids depending on how you like your chili.
- Cook in low-medium heat for about 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with quinoa, rice, tortilla chips or simple by itself. Enjoy!